What You See in the Rainforest: Toucans of Costa Rica
Visitors to Costa Rica are delighted to see colorful toucans sitting high up in the deep green jungle canopy. Here is a little more information about toucans, a bird native to Costa Rica and one of the most recognizable birds on the planet. Enjoy!
Nine Fun Facts About the Toucans of Costa Rica
1. Ancient Brazilians originally named the toucan a “tukana”. The etymology of the word is traced back to an extinct indigenous language known as Tupian.
2. Toucans are known to be very vocal and loudly communicate from their homes in the jungle trees.
3. Toucans are a bit lazy and they do not migrate. In fact, they live in little flocks of 5-7 birds that do not really travel far at all.
4. Toucans sleep in holes they create in trees. They curl up safely in their holes to keep away from their natural human and big cat predators.
5. Toucans are well known for their brightly colored bills. Interesting enough, toucan babies are not hatched with long bills and adult bills can grow to be as long as half the size of their body.
6. Although toucan bills look hard and tough, they are actually spongy and have texture more like a honeycomb.
7. Toucans’ bills work as a type of natural air conditioning system, allowing them to self-regulate their temperature in the hot Costa Rican rainforest.
8. Toucans are omnivores and enjoy eating both meat and fruit.
9. The toucan has been the mascot of the Kellogg cereal brand Fruit Loops since the 1960s.
One of the best ways to see the toucans of Costa Rica is in 4x4 rainforest tour!
Adventure Tours Costa Rica’s Signature Rainforest 4x4 tour is a great way to immerse yourself in the flora and fauna of the jungle. This tour is best for groups of 4-9 people that are looking for adventure. Adventure Tours Costa Rica’s Signature Rainforest 4x4 tour is truly unique rainforest experience!
In our customized off-road vehicle, family and friend groups enjoy a private and comfortable excursion into the rainforest given by a bilingual guide. Leaving the driving to us, vacationers to Costa Rica are free to look up down and around to enjoy the natural beauty of the Costa Rican plants and animals, including our beautiful toucans!
Costa Rica Tours
Guaranteed Best Tours!
We're located right in the heart of Costa Rica’s most popular and closest beach destinations from San Jose – Jaco Costa Rica, and the Los Suenos Resort. As the leading tour agent and operator in the Central Pacific for over 10 years, we offer Vacation Packages for groups, families and couples in the widest assortment of quality adventures, weekly deals and discounts for all ages including: ATV, Los Suenos Fishing, Waterfall Tours, Horseback Riding, Canopy/ Ziplining, Whitewater Rafting, Surfing and Day Trips to Tortuga Island and Manual Antonio. Custom Packages also available.
Costa Rica Vacation Packages for groups, families and couples in the widest assortment of private rentals, condos and hotels in the Jaco and Los Suenos area. Save money when you book our all-inclusive packages; complete with accommodations, car rental, private airport transportation, adventure tours, and Costa Rica Fishing. From our downtown office, your vacation will be handled by our professional consultants located right on site and in the center of town to ensure you have the best Costa Rica Vacation possible!